These delicious and easy Fresh Blueberry Shortcakes make rising at dawn worth every last bite.
- [b]For the Blueberries:[/b]
- 1/8 cup sugar
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 8 ounces fresh blueberries
- [b]For the Shortcakes:[/b]
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 3 Tablespoon Granulated sugar
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons cold butter, cut into cubes
- 2/3 cups whole milk
- In a saucepan, combine sugar, lemon juice and blueberries. cook and stir on medium high, just to get the blueberries to start to juice, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and cool. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Cut in butter until mixture is crumbly. Stir in milk just until moistened.
- Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface.
- Roll out to a 1/2-in. thickness. Cut into 8 triangles.
- Place 1 in. apart on a greased baking sheet. Bake at 425° for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Set aside to cool.
- Top with berry mixture and biscuit top
- Optional: add whipped cream, or ice cream and serve immediately.
I am so excited to share my news with all of you. Eight months ago we adopted Lacey.
She was 8 weeks old when we got her from the shelter. Best guess breed was determined to be Labrador/Hound mix. We all laughed as she started to grow into her ears and to our amazement started to have more features of a Lab/Chihuahua mix, including her persistent personality. She is a handful 24/7.
But here is the news, we adopted another puppy. So now our 8 month old Lab has a sister who is 5 months old.
Brandy is a German Shepherd/Lab mix and has a mild-mannered lovable personality. Lacey loves Brandy and they get along famously. All of Lacey’s energy is now focused on her new sister and they play all day long.
Of course they are early risers, which led to the creation of these blueberry shortcakes. I didn’t want blueberry muffins, or blueberry pancakes so I settled for these and figured I can have blueberry shortcakes for breakfast, right?
I just might be enjoying these two new puppies as much as this blueberry shortcake.
Thanks for stopping by and have a great day.