These Giant Breakfast Cookies are packed wholesome treats and the perfect on-the-go alternative to granola–no bowl, spoon, or milk required.
- 3/4 cup unbleached flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Zest of one orange
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- 1/2 cup pumpkin butter or apple butter
- 2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/2 cup currants (or dried cranberries)
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 1/3 cup water
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking soda and zest.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer with a paddle attachment, whip the butter and sugar until fluffy.. Add the eggs, the vanilla the apple butter and 1/3 cup water.
- Add the dry mixture to the wet and whisk until just combined.
- Mix in the oats, currants, and almonds. Do not over mix.
- Cover dough with plastic wrap for a least 15 minutes or overnight to firm up.
- Preheat over to 350 degrees F
- Line two baking sheets with parchment
- Scoop the dough onto the cookie sheet, leaving 1 1/2 inches between the cookies.
- Bake for 15 to 18 minutes or until golden brown.
- Transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool completely..
These types of breakfast or snack cookies are perfect for any busy schedule. Even for an emptynester like me. The hubby and I just attended my nephew’s wedding last weekend and in a couple of month’s my niece will be tying the knot as well. We’ve been busy attending weddings, showers, and other family functions lately and I haven’t had as much time to spend in the kitchen as I usually do on the weekends.
Let’s hope all these recipes will serve as a place they can go to and make memories with my recipes and stay healthy at the same time.
Thanks for stopping by and have a great day.