Nothing says California like Beer Steamed Shrimp, and they’re as easy to make as they are fun to eat.
- 1 pound large shrimp (31/40), with shells and tails on
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed or coarsely chopped
- 1 shallot, chopped
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 12 ounces California style beer (such as Anchor Steam)
- ½ lemon plus more for garnish
- ¼ cup flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- Sourdough bread, for dipping
- Rinse shrimp and set aside.
- Melt butter in large skillet over medium high heat and add garlic and shallot.
- Cook 4 minutes or until garlic and shallots become soft and translucent.
- Season with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Fit Dutch oven with steamer basket, add beer, and bring to boil over medium-high heat.
- Add shrimp to steamer basket.
- Cover and steam until shrimp are cooked through, 4 to 6 minutes.
- Remove from heat and squeeze juice of ½ lemon into broth and sprinkle with parsley
- Transfer to serving platter.
- Serve with warm garlic butter for dipping and sliced sourdough bread for dipping.
Today is a special Sunday Supper post that is hosted by Sue Lau from A Palatable Pastime
Our Sunday Supper community comes from all over the world. Some of the dishes we prepared for all of you will help you eat vicariously through these regional dishes.
About me: I am a native from California. Specifically from San Francisco. Born and raised in the City by the Bay.
I have been fortunate to graze on worldly cuisine all my life. Today I wanted to bring a bit of California and San Francisco to your plates.
San Francisco is known for their Sourdough bread. The bread was the beginning of what I conjured up in my mind of how I can depict San Francisco cuisine. Then of course Fisherman’s Wharf got me thinking about shrimp. It was at that point that I decided a fantastic California beer would be the base for my steamed shrimp. This is where you get to take big chunks of sourdough bread for dipping so you can soak up all the delicious flavors in the broth.
- Crispy Salmon Bites with Homemade Tartar Sauce by Pine Needles In My Salad
- Loaded Tex-Mex Chile con Queso by The Weekend Gourmet
- New England Style Stuffed Clams by Caroline’s Cooking
- Brandy Old Fashioned by Curious Cuisiniere
- Wine Pairing Recommendations For #SundaySupper Regional Specialties by ENOFYLZ Wine Blog
- Breakfast Empanada Casserole by Simply Healthy Family
- Pittsburgh Steak Salad by Seduction in the Kitchen
- Homemade Ranch Dressing by My Imperfect Kitchen
- Tupelo Honey Key Lime Vinaigrette by Family Around the Table
- Alabama White Barbecue Sauce by Cookin’ Mimi
- Delaware Crabs by Delaware Girl Eats
- JoJo Potatoes by A Mind Full Mom
- Long Beans with Coconut by Food Lust People Love
- Old Bay Cauli-Tots by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Southern Collard Greens by Magnolia Days
- Amish Chicken and Noodles by Palatable Pastime
- Boiled Lobster with Drawn Butter by Taste And See
- Bison Steaks with Cranberry Chimichurri by Tramplingrose
- California Beer Steamed Shrimp by Nosh My Way
- Avocado BLT Sandwich by Brunch-n-Bites
- Cali Inspired Fish Tacos by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Cheesy Tex Mex Enchiladas by The TipToe Fairy
- Cola Marinated Steak Tips by Hardly a Goddess
- Corn and Bacon Chowder by Moore or Less Cooking
- Crab-Stuffed Artichokes with Spicy Aioli by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Deep Fried Pizza Roll by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Halal Cart-Style Chicken and Rice with White Sauce by The Texan New Yorker
- Copycat Hattie B’s Hot Chicken by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Homemade Quebec Maple Baked Beans by She Loves Biscotti
- How to Make Vegetable Lumpia by Asian In America
- Italian Hot Dog by Simple and Savory
- Mom’s City Chicken by My Life Cookbook
- North Carolina BBQ with Cole Slaw and Hush Puppies by The Freshman Cook
- Philly Cheesesteak Calzones by Baking Sense
- Polish Boy Sandwich by Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- Spicy Salmon for Tacos by Hey What’s for Dinner Mom?
- Tex-Mex Slowcooker Chicken and Beef Fajitas by Meal Planning Magic
- West Michigan Wet Burritos by Wholistic Woman
- Upside Down Angel Food Cupcakes by Cooking With Carlee
- Austrian Mohnnudeln (Poppy Seed Noodles) by The Bread She Bakes
- Butter Tarts – A Canadian Tradition by Red Cottage Chronicles
- Carob Cherry Crumb Bars by Pies and Plots
- Florida Key Lime Cream Pie by The Crumby Cupcake
- Fried Biscuits by Angels Home Sweet Homestead
- Gooey Butter Cake from Saint Louie! by Our Good Life
- Homemade Butterscotch Krimpets by The Redhead Baker
- San Jose Burnt Almond Cake by Eat, Drink and be Tracy
- Shoofly Pie by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Spanish Bar Cake by Get the Good Stuff!
- Hoosier Sugar Cream Pie by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
Plus Rhubarb Steamed Pudding and Favorite Regional Recipes from Sunday Supper Movement
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Moveme