Treat yourself to Strawberry-Orange Muffins for a quick breakfast or afternoon snack.
- 3 Tablespoons almonds
- 2 Tablespoons all purpose flour
- 2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar (can substitute coconut sugar)
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 2 Tablespoons canola oil
- For the MUFFIN
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar blend (such as Splenda or Truvia)
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups chopped fresh strawberries (about 8 ounces)
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Coat a 12-cup muffin pan with cooking spray, or line with muffin liners
- Process almonds, 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, 2 tablespoons brown sugar, 1 teaspoon orange zest and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a food processor until finely ground.
- Transfer to a small bowl, drizzle with 2 tablespoons oil and stir to combine. Set aside.
- Whisk 3/4 cup all-purpose flour, whole-wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda and the teaspoon salt in a large bowl.
- Whisk the remaining 1/2 cup brown sugar, 2 teaspoons orange zest and 1/4 cup oil in a medium bowl with milk, orange juice, egg and vanilla extract until well combined.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the wet ingredients; stir until just combined.
- Add strawberries; stir just to combine. Divide the batter among the prepared muffin cups. Sprinkle with the almond topping, gently pressing into the batter.
- Bake the muffins until golden brown and a wooden skewer inserted in the center comes out clean, 18 to 20 minutes.
- Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool for at least 5 minutes more before serving.
I am having trouble trying to remember that these days I am only cooking for two. The last boy moved out March 1 and my baby girl, well, as I said earlier, she basically is never here. Our home is currently a storage unit for her stuff since she spends every waking hour with the boyfriend.
Studded with fresh chopped strawberries and laced with a hint of orange zest I had no trouble at all gobbling up these guys. As a matter of fact, they traveled to the office with me every day last week.
Thanks for stopping by and have a great day.