Make your own Guilt-Free Tomato Sauce to create homemade meals like pizza or meatballs.
- 1 28 oz. can peeled whole tomatoes (Italian or regular), roughly chopped with juice reserved, or crushed by hand as described in the instructions. (I used Cento)
- 1/4 cup (4 tablespoons) extra virgin olive oil
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped fairly fine
- 1/4 teaspoon Himalayan Salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 1/2 – 2 cups fresh basil leaves, rinsed and roughly chopped or
- 1 onion, peeled, halved, and thinly sliced into half-rounds
- In a large pot on medium-high heat, add the oil.
- Add the onions, and cook on medium heat until onions have softened, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the garlic to the pot, turn heat to medium, and cook garlic, stirring, until it just starts to color slightly, about 30 seconds.
- Remove pan from heat.
- Add the canned tomatoes and juice crushing the tomatoes.
- Add salt and pepper.
- Add the basil.
- Stir to combine with a wooden spoon.
- Turn heat to high and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and cook at a lively simmer, stirring from time to time, until sauce thickens, about 30 minutes.
- To prevent sauce from sticking to bottom of pot, stir more often as sauce thickens.
Whoa Nelly! This recipe is a keeper. I actually made it two weeks in a row. It’s that delicious.
Yes, this is another fantastic recipe that works well with my 6 week weight loss challenge
It’s been a long time since I made home made tomato sauce. I like to have it a bit chunky, but if you want it smooth, just use your blender.
As you can see, I also made some Baked Meatballs. Stay tuned for that delicious and easy recipe.
Thanks for stopping by and have a great day.