This tasty Cheesy Chicken Orzo dish is loaded with cheesy deliciousness.
I really intended to make a rice and chicken stir fry. Unfortunately, my pantry only had orzo. Orzo is actually a pasta, but it’s shaped like large grains of rice.
This often leads to either too much or not enough. In this case, not enough doesn’t describe what took place in the kitchen. Scraping the pan for the last bit of this dish almost led to planting their face into the skillet and licking off what they can. Trust me they didn’t. But i I let them, I know they would have.
They are still begging me today to make this again.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 12 ounces chicken breasts cut into bite size pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 cup orzo
- ½ cup grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons butter
- 1 Tablespoon fresh flat-leaf parsley chopped
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet.
- Season chicken with salt and ground black pepper
- Add to the hot skillet, cook over medium heat until done; about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the crushed red pepper.
- Set aside.
- Bring a pot of water to boil, and stir in the orzo.
- Cook for 9 minutes, until orzo is tender.
- Put the orzo back in the pot and stir in the cheese, butter, and ¼ cup milk; add more milk if needed. Continue to stir until smooth and well combined.
- Stir in the cooked chicken.
- Sprinkle the parsley on top
Thanks for stopping by and have a great day.