This Sweet Skillet Apple Cake makes a fresh and irresistibly delicious dessert and is a perfect addition to any fall brunch menu.
We would have hit it off for sure. Peggy was famous of making fudge for the holidays, but he says her apple cakes were a favorite during the Autumn. Oh, did I mention she loved to drink wine? See I told you we would have hit it off.
Anyway, since I have never attempted an apple cake in my life, this one just seemed to fit the bill perfectly as we ease into the Fall Season.
I was wondering if you noticed that my photos are getting a little bit better since I bought my very first big girls camera a Canon T6i. I am loving it.
Sorry about that, back to this cake. How can you resist the sweet smell of Autumn throughout your kitchen while baking up this easy skillet dessert.
- ½ cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- ⅔ cup coconut palm sugar (or your favorite brown sugar)
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup half and half
- 2 large apples, sliced thinly (I used Pink Lady apples)
- ½ Tablespoon sugar and ½ Tablespoon apple spice mix (a combination of nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves and cardamom
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and grease a 9" cast iron skillet with butter or nonstick cooking spray.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat together the butter and sugar for 2-3 minutes on medium-high speed, until light and fluffy. Add the egg and vanilla extract and continue to beat until smooth, stopping to scrape down the sides of the bowl as necessary.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. With the mixer on low speed, alternate adding the flour mixture and the half and half, starting and ending with the flour. Mix until just combined. Transfer batter into prepared pan and evenly distribute the batter.
- Take the cut apples and arrange them on top of the batter in concentric, overlapping circles to resemble a flower. Keep adding apples until entire skillet is covered, then sprinkle with sugar apple spice mix.
- Bake for 20 - 25 minutes, or until the edges are golden brown and a cake tester comes out clean.
- Serve warm and drizzle with honey if desired.
Thanks for stopping by and have a great day.
Check out A Guide to Apples plus Best Fall Recipes Ideas for #SundaySupper and this week’s recipe collection:
- Apple-Currant Dutch Baby Pancake by The Weekend Gourmet
- Apple Swirled Pumpkin Yeast Bread by What Smells So Good?
- Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bread by Party Food and Entertaining
- Giant Brown Sugar Cinnamon Pop Tart by Pies and Plots
- Sweet Potato Buttermilk Biscuits by Tara’s Multicultural Table
Appetizers and Sides
- Butternut Squash, Cauliflower and Cabbage Soup with Lentils by Monica’s Table
- Pumpkin Cornbread Muffins by Pancake Warriors
- Pumpkin Spice Roasted Sweet Potatoes by Love and Confections
- Roasted Veggie Tart by Books n’ Cooks
- Acorn Squash Stuffed with Roasted Veggies & Couscous by Momma’s Meals
- Butternut Squash Lentil Curry Soup by Food Done Light
- Curry Beef Pies by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Fantasy Rice by The Petit Gourmet
- King Prawns in Red Sauce – Mauritian Style Creole Sauce by Peachy Tales
- Pasta with Creamy Butternut & Bacon by Cooking Chat
- Pork Chops with Apple Dijon Sauce and Arugula Salad by Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Pork Chops with Glazed Apples and Vegetables by The Complete Savorist
- Quinoa and Sausage Stuffed Acorn Squash by Feeding Big and More
- Roasted Tomato Soup with Bacon/Tomato Grilled Cheese Sandwich by A Gouda Life
- Salt Roasted Salmon over Roasted Butternut & Yam Soup by Lifestyle Food Artistry
- Sheet Pan Roasted Chicken, Delicata Squash and Olives by Foodie Tots
- Sweet Potato French Bean Lentil Salad by Food Lust People Love
- Sweet Potato Alfredo Sauce by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Thai Curry Pumpkin Soup by Eating in Instead
- Whole Roasted Chicken with Vegetables by Life Tastes Good
Desserts and Cocktails
- Apfelkuchen by Curious Cuisiniere
- Applesauce Cake with Peanut Butter Cream Cheese Swirls by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Apple Gingersnap Refrigerator Dessert by Recipes Food and Cooking
- Autumn Bellini by An Appealing Plan
- Autumn Spice Cookies by Desserts Required
- Caramel Apple Napoleons by The Crumby Cupcake
- Caramel Apple Pie Bundles by The Freshman Cook
- Caramel Apple Streusel Muffins by The Redhead Baker
- Caramel Apple Swirl Cheesecake No-Churn Ice Cream by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Cheesecake Swirl Pumpkin Muffins by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Chestnut and Pear Cupcakes with Caramel Buttercream by Caroline’s Cooking
- Dark Chocolate-Espresso Pumpkin Tiramisu by Brunch with Joy
- Dutch Apple Pie by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Pumpkin Cheesecake with Butterscotch Drizzle by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
- Pumpkin Chocolate Bread Pudding with Salted Caramel Sauce by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Pumpkin Crisp by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Pumpkin Cupcakes with Cinnamon Buttercream Frosting by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Pumpkin Pecan Bundt Cake by Flour On My Face
- Pumpkin Spice Peanut Butter Cookies by Palatable Pastime
- Roasted Maple Pears by Amee’s Savory Dish
- Spiced Pear Cake by Simply Healthy Family
- Spiced Pumpkin Bread by Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- Sweet Apple Skillet Cake by Nosh My Way
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.