Get twisted and enjoy these saucy Drunken Zoodles with Sicilian Chicken Sausage. A great way reduce your carbs.
Today Gypsy failed me. Gypsy is my GPS. She usually gets me to my destinations without a hitch. But today, she through me for a loop. I got off-track, but she helped me through it. It’s such a blessing to have her to depend on. Even when she makes tiny mistakes. It happens every now and then.
In the meantime, making these types of comfort food are exactly what you all need, just like me.
- 2 Sicilian Chicken Sausage links, casings removed
- 1 Tablespoon Avocado Oil
- 1 large onion, quartered and sliced thinly
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1/2 cup roasted red bell peppers, chopped (I used Mezzetta jarred peppers)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup white wine (I used Chardonnay)
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 3 zucchini, spiralized
- In a skillet on medium-high heat; add about 1 tablespoon of avocado oil, and once the oil is hot, crumble the spicy Italian sausage into the pan in small chunks (you want to keep the sausage fairly chunky), allowing it to brown in the oil for a few moments on each side; ( about 7 minutes) once the crumbled sausage is browned, remove it from the skillet with a slotted spoon and place into a small bowl. set aside.
- Add the sliced onion into the pan with the sausage drippings, and allow it to caramelize and become golden for about 6 to 8 minutes.
- Add in the garlic, and once it becomes aromatic, add in the white wine and allow it to reduce for a few moments, until almost completely reduced (about 5 minutes); next, add in the tomato sauce, and
- the roasted peppers and return the browned sausage back into the pan, and gently fold the mixture to combine; add the Italian seasoning and allow it to gently simmer for about 3-4 minutes to blend the flavors, then turn the heat off; to finish the sauce, drizzle in a bit of olive oil to create a silky, rich flavor, and add in the chopped parsley.
- Add the zucchini “noodles” with the sauce and all of the ingredients in it.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Optional: sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
Thanks for stopping by and have a great day.