These Crispy Carnitas are slowly cooked in a spicy dry rub, the juice of an orange, which tenderizes the meat, browned, and then topped with a fried egg.
People, keep that slow cooker out all year long. Use it in the winter for comfort food and in the summer so you don’t have to slave over a hot stove.
These crispy carnitas have been “on the list” to make for a very long time. Frankly, I don’t know why it took me so long to make them. Perhaps the obsession with Thai food just kept getting in the way.
The best thing is, you can literally start this dish before you go to sleep, and finish it off when you wake up. Shake things up in your kitchen and serve this dish for breakfast. They will think you slaved over the stove for hours.
- 3 pounds pork tenderloin
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons Oregano
- 1 teaspoon Chipotle Powder
- ½ teaspoon Paprika Powder
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 orange, juiced
- eggs to fry
- Rinse and dry the pork loin roast or pork shoulder.
- Rub the pork with all the seasonings on all sides and place in your slow cooker.
- Add the onion, garlic, jalapeno pepper, and cinnamon stick on top.
- Squeeze the orange and on top and then cook on low for 8 hours
- Shred the meat with two forks.
- Reserve the juices in the crockpot and pour some on top of the meat. Squeeze lime juice on top and serve.
Thanks for stopping by and have a great day.