The key to delicious, flavorful Seasoned Spinach and Bok Choy is all in the saute’.
Here we are in the middle of February and by now you have celebrated your love for someone this past weekend. Out hearts grow strong with love. I know that mine does. But guess what folks, so does spinach! Remember Popeye even said that it made him strong to the finish. My little brother always thought he was Popeye. He always made me pretend to be Wimpy. I’m not really, but he was my little brother and my older sister always got to be Olive Oyle. Ah, childhood memories are so wonderful. I often wondered how my girls were gathering their childhood memories. But every now and then they will say “Mom remember when”…
One story that I do remember about my girls was the year Caitlin turned 6. Her birthday is in March. For her party, I decided that each little girl would get their own “cake”. I made heart shaped cakes for each one (there were 6 girls invited). To this day she still remembers how I made six cakes. One for each of her friends. That is how my heart stays strong.
Today, the Sunday Supper movement is sharing heart healthy recipes so you can keep your heart strong and healthy. I love the added deliciousness from the bok choy as well and they blended together fantastically.
- 1 (10-ounce) packages fresh spinach, divided
- 6 ounces bok choy, chopped
- ½ tablespoon oil
- ¼ cup finely chopped scallions
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds, toasted
- 2 teaspoons low-sodium soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon sesame chili oil
- ¼ teaspoon Himalayan sea salt with truffles
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- In a medium sized skillet, saute the garlic slices and the sesame seeds (about 30 seconds).
- Add the spinach and bok choy, a continue to saute about 5 minutes or until the spinach wilts.
- Remove pan from heat
- Add scallions and remaining ingredients; toss mixture well to combine.
oin us tonight for our heart healthy twitter chat at 7pm Eastern. Stay on that wagon and make 2015 a year for your health!
Better for you breakfasts:
- Apple Pie Oatmeal by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Chocolate Oatmeal Scones by Brunch with Joy
- Create-Your-Own Overnight Oatmeal by Rhubarb and Honey
- Honey-Banana Almond Butter Smoothie by The Messy Baker
- Orange, Mango, Lime & Ginger Smoothie by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Pear Bran Muffins by Magnolia Days
- Stovetop Fruit & Honey Granola by What Smells So Good?
Jump start your health with these appetizers:
- Almond Crusted Chicken Nuggets by Momma’s Meals
- Chipotle Black Bean Dip by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Lemon Aioli with Spring Vegetables by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Mala Baked Tofu Bites by Palatable Pastime
Soups that’ll win your heart:
- Asian Soba Noodle Broth Bowl by Hip Foodie Mom
- Kale, Spinach, and Bean Soup by Ruffles & Truffles
- Mushroom Quinoa Soup by Pies and Plots
- Quinoa Chickpea Soup with Roasted Garlic & Veggies by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Turkey and Black-Eyed Peas Soup by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
Veggies, Sides, & Salads your heart will thank you for:
- Collard Greens with Cumin and Paprika by Nik Snacks
- Grilled Salmon Caesar Salad by Casa de Crews
- Kale Roasted Beet Salad with Honey Balsamic Dressing by Noshing with the Nolands
- Lightened-Up Creamed Spinach au Gratin by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Roasted Teriyaki Green Beans and Mushrooms by NeighborFood
- Salmon Salad Niçoise by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Seasoned Spinach & Bok Choy by Nosh My Way
- Spinach Berry Salad by Country Girl in the Village
- Sweet & Smokey Cauliflower Salad by Take a Bite Out of Boca
- Winter Citrus Salad with Avocado-Basil Dressing by Foxes Love Lemons
- Parmesan Pistachio Kale Chips by The Texan New Yorker
- Sprouted Buckwheat Blackberry Banana Bread by Simply Healthy Family
Healthy is the center of attention in these main courses:
- Baked Eggplant Parmesan by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Celeriac Noodles with Mushroom Ragu by The Joyful Foodie
- Gluten Free Roasted Chicken and Kale by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Heart Healthy Salmon Bento by The Ninja Baker
- Lemony Grilled Chicken by Peaceful Cooking
- Moroccan Salmon Tagine by Curious Cuisiniere
- Olive Oil-Poached Salmon with Pickled Cherry Salsa by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- One Pot Mexican Quinoa by Having Fun Saving
- Oven Baked Tilapia Tacos by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Piperies Yemistes me Pligouri – Bulgur Stuffed Peppers by Food Lust People Love
- Salmon with Mango Salsa by Cooking Chat
- Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Quinoa Bake by Food Done Light
- Vegetable and Ginger Congee by eating in instead
- Vegetarian Cuban-Style Black Beans & Rice by MealDiva
- White Bean, Corn, Tomato and Rice Skillet by Family Foodie
Staying healthy doesn’t mean giving up desserts!
- Baked Figs with Vanilla and Honey by Happy Baking Days
- Caramelized Pear Tart by PancakeWarriors
- Cherry-Blueberry Trifles by The Life and Loves of Grumpy’s Honeybunch
We heart wine.
- Wine Pairing Recommendations for Heart Healthy #SundaySupper by ENOFYLZ Wine Blog
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 4:00 pm PT. Follow the#SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board