Joe’s Special — ground beef, spinach and egg scramble, is savory, satisfying and has been a staple on every Joe’s menu in the San Francisco Bay Area.
It’s an icon in the San Francisco food industry dating back to the 1920’s. The first time I saw this on the menu at Original Joe’s restaurant in San Francisco, I thought, ewe gross. I was about 14 years old. Spinach was only something Popeye ate. And really, back then, why would a girl want to be strong to the finish?
Here’s the thing. Today is the absolute first time I ever ate Joe’s Special. I can tell you, it won’t be the last. I can’t believe how I refused to try it all those years ago. And to think I could have been strong to the finish cause I ate my spinach.
I grew up in the City by the Bay, Frisco, San Fran, Baghdad By the Bay, The City, SF, just a few of the nicknames for my beloved city.
- 1/4 cup white onion, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 ounces ground beef
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 large bunch of spinach
- 4 eggs
- 1 Tablespoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 pieces of bread, toasted and cut at the diagonal
- Melt 1 Tablespoon of butter and the olive oil in a skillet that has a lid, over medium heat.
- Add the chopped onions to the pan. (about 3 or 4 minutes)
- While the onion is sauteing, whisk the eggs, salt, pepper, and paprika.
- Once the onions are translucent, add the garlic and saute for 30 seconds.
- Add in the ground beef. (about 3 minutes)
- Once the beef has browned, add the cheese add the spinach.
- Cover with the lid so the spinach can wilt (about 3 minutes)
- Once the spinach has wilted, add the egg mixture.
- Stir to combine until the egg is cooked through.
- Serve with the toast
This week’s event is being hosted by Coleen of The Redhead Baker. Take a look at all of the hometown recipes that will be shared on Sunday!
- Alamo City Breakfast Tacos by The Weekend Gourmet
- Gluten Free Cinnamon Raisin Bagels by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Mickey Mouse Waffles by Wallflour Girl
- New York Style Bagels by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Peanut Butter and Fluff French Toast by Momma’s Meals
- Vegan Timbits by Killer Bunnies, Inc
- Candied Kumquat Peels, Kumquat Syrup, and Kumquat-Ade by Recipe for Perfection
- Wine Pairing Recommendations for Hometown Food by ENOFYLZ Wine Blog
Appetizers and Snacks
- Baked Buffalo Chicken Wings by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Cuban Sandwich Crostini by Casa de Crews
- Cuban Sandwich Dip by Family Foodie
- South Jersey Boardwalk Caramel Corn by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Chicken and Dumplings by Food Lust People Love
- Crockpot Cincinnati Chili by Palatable Pastime
- Fried Rice Vermicelli + Vegetable Fritters by Brunch with Joy
- Honey Cola Baked Ham by Magnolia Days
- Hot Brown Ham Sliders by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Joe’s Special by Nosh My Way
- Lentil, Cauliflower and Sweet Potato Curry by Mess Makes Food
- New England Beans and Cod by Cooking Chat
- Pasties by Recipes Food and Cooking
- Philadelphia Tomato Pie by The Redhead Baker
- Pierogies by Hezzi D’s Books and Cooks
- Portobello “Philly Cheese Steak” by Pancake Warriors
- Pittsburgh Devonshire Sandwich by Seduction in the Kitchen
- Pozole Rojo by Simply Healthy Family
- Revved-up Poutine by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Rice with Pork and Pineapple by Basic N Delicious
- San Francisco Cioppino by Eat, Drink and be Tracy
- Seattle-Style Dungeness Crab Roll by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Tex-Mex Cheese Enchiladas with Chile con Carne by The Texan New Yorker
- Victory Pig Sicilian Style Pizza by Rants From My Crazy Kitchen
- Xiang La Tu Zi // Hot and Spicy Rabbit by Curried Canteloupe
- Oven Toasted Ravioli by Curious Cuisiniere
- 1905 Salad by Supper for a Steal
- Chicken Rice Pilaf by Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Classic Italian Risotto in Bianco by La Bella Vita Cucina
- Greek Salad with Potato Salad by Ruffles & Truffles
- Korean Steamed Eggs by Hip Foodie Mom
- Smoke House Cheesy Garlic Bread by Peaceful Cooking
- Apple Crisp by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
- Buckeye Cupcakes by Desserts Required
- Carob Bumpy Cake by Pies and Plots
- Chocolate Earthquake Cake by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Chocolate Pocky Cake by NinjaBaker
- Grandma Sweeney’s Chocolate Cream Pie by Lifestyle Food Artistry
- Lemon Buttermilk Bundt Cake by Alida’s Kitchen
- Michigan Apple Cake by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Mile High Strawberry Pie by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Pear Parkin by Happy Baking Days
- Vernors Cake by Country Girl in the Village
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
Read more at http://magnoliadays.com/2015/honey-coca-cola-baked-ham/#m6rF4EaMhPGRFJWj.99
Thanks for stopping by and have a great day.