A simplified Greek Moussaka recipe is made by layering eggplant with a spiced meat filling and topping off with a delicious creamy sauce.
This is just about the absolutely best way to eat eggplant. All that creamy cheesy goodness.
I have been wanting to prepare this casserole for a some time now., However, I had to make sure the hubby was out of town. He won’t eat eggplant. It’s not that he doesn’t like it. He actually never tasted it. He doesn’t like the name. His mind just can’t get past the name. I can be sneaky only so much. I am afraid I just couldn’t be sneaky enough to get him to embrace this dish.
There is definitely something special about casseroles. I believe that everyone needs a casserole dish in their repertoire, like a homey creamy casserole, brimming with cheesy sweet and savory stuffing. One that is their hands-down-favorite that everyone loves to eat and is easy to make. One that is sheer comfort food. One that puts a smile on everyone’s face when they smell the wonderful aroma of it cooking in the kitchen or coming to their table.. Did you know the casserole originated in France. It was a way to cook and serve the meal in the same dish.
This week, the Sunday Supper movement is sharing casserole dishes with all of you. Many types such as ragout, hotpot, cassoulet, tajine, carbonnade and don’t forget all the desserts. Thank you to our host this week Alice of A Cooking Mizer.
- 6 tablespoons cooking oil
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1 Tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 1/2 cups canned crushed tomatoes in thick puree (one 15-ounce can)
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Fresh-ground black pepper
- 1 eggplant (about 1 pound), peeled and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan
- Pre-heat the broiler.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil over moderate heat.
- Add the shallot and garlic; cook until starting to soften, about 3 minutes.
- Add the ground beef and cook until the meat loses its pink color. (about 2 minutes).
- Stir in the wine, tomato paste, tomatoes, cinnamon, allspice, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat. Simmer, covered, for 10 minutes. (remove cinnamon stick and discard)
- Brush both sides of the eggplant slices with the remaining 5 tablespoons oil and season with 1/8 teaspoon each salt and pepper.
- Put the eggplant slices on a large baking sheet and broil, 6 inches from the heat, until browned, about 5 minutes.
- Flip the eggplant and broil until browned on the other side, about 5 minutes longer.
- In a small saucepan, combine the cream cheese, milk, 1/8 teaspoon salt, and a pinch of pepper, over low heat until just melted.
- Spray an 8-by-8-inch baking dish with non-stick spray.
- Layer half the eggplant in the dish, then half the meat sauce
- Sprinkle with half the Parmesan.
- Repeat with the remaining eggplant, meat sauce, and Parmesan.
- Spoon the cream-cheese sauce on top;
- Broil until just starting to brown, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Remove from oven.
- Cool about 10 minutes then cut into squares.
Thanks for stopping by and have a great day.
Check out all of these recipes and don’t forget to join us for a twitter chat at 4pm PT to talk about all things Casserole! It’s sure to be a captivating conversation!
Captivating Breakfast Casseroles
- Boozy Baked French Toast from Brunch with Joy
- Orange & Date Wife Saver Breakfast Casserole from A Mama, Baby & Shar-pei in the Kitchen
- Spinach, Sausage and Polenta Breakfast Casserole from The Redhead Baker
Appetizing Casserole Sides
- Baked Cauli-Tots Casserole from Cupcake and Kale Chips
- Savory Sweet Potato and Sausage Bread Pudding from Nik Snacks
- Shredded Brussels Sprouts Casserole from Take A Bite Out of Boca
Main Event Casseroles
- Artichoke and Spinach Macaroni and Cheese Casserole from Ruffles & Truffles
- Baked Penne with Roasted Cauliflower and Italian Sausage from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Bison Meatloaf Casserole from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Cheesy Chicken Corkscrew Casserole from Recipes Food and Cooking
- Cheesy, Creamy, Cauliflower and Sausage Casserole from Eating In Instead
- Chicken Enchiladas from Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
- Chicken Parmesan Quinoa Bake from Alida’s Kitchen
- Chicken Ramen Mini Casseroles from The Ninja Baker
- Chicken with Whole Grains Casserole from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Chinese Noodle Casserole from Momma’s Meals
- Crab Casserole for Two from Magnolia Days
- Homemade Poppy Seed Chicken from Food Done Light
- Fully Loaded Tater Tot Casserole from Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- King Ranch Casserole from The Texan New Yorker
- King Ranch Mac and Cheese from The Weekend Gourmet
- Baked Ziti with Meatballs from Curious Cuisiniere
- Mexican Lasagna from MealDiva
- Mom’s Taco Casserole from Lifestyle Food Artistry
- Moroccan Polenta Casserole from Pancake Warriors
- Moussaka from Nosh My Way
- Neeps & Tatties Casserole from Happy Baking Days
- Quick No Boil Tuna Pasta Bake from Mess Makes Food
- Sausage Peppers and Onion Pasta Casserole from Family Foodie
- Southwestern Spaghetti Pie from The Messy Baker
- Cheesy, Layered Italian Pasta Torta from La Bella Vita Cucina
- Stove-top Four Cheese Mac and Cheese from The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Supreme Pizza Strata from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Sweet Corn and Green Chile Chicken Tamale Pie from Simply Healthy Family
- Taco Casserole from Peanut Butter and Peppers
Decadent Dessert and Sweet Casseroles
- Baked Lemon Dessert from Food Lust People Love
- The Best Homemade Cinnamon Rolls from Pies and Plots
- Butterscotch Bread Pudding from The Foodie Army Wife
- Classic Apple Crisp from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Ultimate Deep Dish Brownies from Recipe for Perfection
- Vegan Oreo Rice Krispie Treats from Killer Bunnies, Inc
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out ourPinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.