This Chinese Five Spice Chicken has a wonderfully warm, aromatic flavor and tastes spectacular.
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons Chinese 5 Spice
- 16 ounces boneless skinless chicken breasts – cut into bite size pieces
- 1/2 red bell pepper, sliced thin
- 1 cup broccoli slaw
- 1 scallion, cut on the diagonal
- 1/2 pound trimmed asparagus,
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 Tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons Potato Flour starch
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed Red Pepper Flakes
- 1/4 cup unsalted peanuts
- Season cut chicken with Chinese Five Spice, set aside.
- In a bowl combine the water, soy sauce, potato starch and the red pepper flakes; set aside.
- Heat a large skillet on medium-high.
- Add the butter to the pan and heat.
- Add your seasoned chicken to the pan and cook evenly. About 5 minutes
- Just as the chicken starts to change color add your bell pepper, broccoli slaw and asparagus.
- As your vegetables soften add your water, soy sauce, red pepper flakes and peanuts
- Bring your pot to a boil, then reduce heat down to a simmer, cover and let finish cooking for about 5-10 minutes
- Top with scallions and peanuts
Talk about the Spice Girls.
Well, maybe except Scary Spice. Chinese Five Spice has a blend of cool, warm, sweet, and spicy. Anise, Cinnamon, Star Anise, Cloves and Ginger. You can even use Chinese Five Spice in your baked goods too.
Today the Sunday Supper Movement is joining forces to share what some people refer to as “clean” eating. Our chef de jour, DB from Crazy Foodie Stunts is our host for today’s theme.
Since 2009, Eating Rules has been dedicating the month of October as Unprocessed month.
Unprocessed is a very ambiguous terminology, but I think for the most part we would like to believe it’s means that all ingredients haven’t been processed, packaged or hold an extremely long shelf life.
The reality is that It’s means “fresh, or unaltered.” So I guess it’s debatable if this recipe is truly considered unprocessed or not. Soy sauce probably is considered processed. But I guess I won’t try to split hairs and feel that the major components of this recipe are unprocessed.
Hopefully we can all become “schooled” after we view all the incredible unprocessed recipes from the Sunday Supper team.
Thanks for stopping by and have a great day.
Alluring Appetizers and Stunning Sides
- Brioche Dinner Rolls by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Stuffed Peppadew Peppers by An Appealing Plan
- Homemade Fennel-Maple Mustard by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Sweet Potato Noodles & Brussels Sprouts Salad with Lemon Tahini Dressing by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Whole Grain, No-Knead Sourdough Bread by Peaceful Cooking
- Sweet Potato Fries by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Indian Spiced Dal and Sag Aloo by Happy Baking Days
- Homemade Energy Bars by The Foodie Army Wife
- Honey Thyme Chicken by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Sweet Potato and Carrot Hash by Fit Foodie Runs
- Roasted Parsnips and Carrots with Cardamom and Maple Syrup by Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Spicy Smashed Fingerling Potatoes by Magnolia Days
- Autumn Panzanella by Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Black Bean and Corn Salsa by What Smells So Good?
- Curried Apple Chips by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Stuffed Acorn Squash by Rhubarb and Honey
- Homemade Hash Brown by Basic N Delicious
- Raw Salted Chocolate Chip Oat Healthy Bars by Wallflour Girl
- Roasted Sweet Potatoes and Brussels Sprouts by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Basic Roasted Cauliflower by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Baked Beet Chips by The Dinner-Mom
- Crispy Tex-Mex Quinoa Patties by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Authentic Chicken Tinga by Shockingly Delicious
- Jacket Potato Party by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Mom’s Homemade Vegetarian Meatballs by The Life and Loves of Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Chicken and Sweet Potato by MealDiva
- Chinese Five Spice Chicken Stir Fry by Nosh My Way
- Easy Slow Cooker Chili by Amee’s Savory Dish
- Coconut Chicken Tenders with Honey Mustard Dip by Casa de Crews
- Grilled Burgers with Garlicky Arugula by Cooking Chat
- Baked Zucchini with Spicy Tomatoes by Food Lust People Love
- Fall Squash Soup by Ruffles & Truffles
- Stuffed Sweet Potatoes by Momma’s Meals
- White Bean Pesto Stew by eating in instead
- Seared Pork Stack by annaDishes
- Gnocchi with Peas and Pesto by Curious Cuisiniere
- Pumpkin & Sausage Pasta by Confessions of a Culinary Diva
- Raw Vegan Chocolate Cheesecake by Killer Bunnies, Inc
- Vegan Mini Chocolate Cream Cakes by NinjaBaking.com
- Gluten Free Peanut Butter Blondies by Pies and Plots
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here—>Sunday Supper Movement.