When I was a kid growing up, I was a very picky eater. I know, unbelievable isn’t it. During my elementary school years, my mom made me a salami and mustard sandwich on white bread, Monday through Thursday. On Friday’s she adorned my lunch bag with tuna on white. Now don’t mad at my mom for the simplistic sandwiches. After all, I was the picky eater.
But, unfortunately, after all those years of simple sandwiches, I am sure it wouldn’t surprise you if I told you I was a sandwich hater fora very very long time. It wasn’t until I realized there was more to a sandwich then salami or tuna.
At the local Farmer’s Market I love to buy Marble Rye bread from The Whole Grain Natural Bread Company, based out of Santa Cruz, CA. It is the absolute best rye bread I have ever tasted. So after my Saturday morning run, I stopped at the market for some marble rye.
When I arrived home from my little jaunt to the market, I couldn’t wait to have a piece of marble rye. Scrounging around in the kitchen, I found enough ingredients to create this Grilled Chicken and Swiss on Marble Rye. Not necessarily creative, but melt in my mouth delicious nonetheless.
- 2 slices marble rye bread
- 1 slices (3/4 ounce) reduced-fat Swiss cheese
- 1 frozen breaded Trader Joe’s Brand chicken breast, cooked and sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Dijon or spicy brown mustard
- Spread the mayo between the two slices.
- On the dry side of the bread, top with cheese and chicken; cover with remaining bread.
- In a large nonstick skillet coated with nonstick cooking spray, cook sandwiches on both sides until golden brown.
The breaded chicken from Trader Joe’s is so moist and tender and the breading adds a little crunch to this sandwich.
You don’t have to use the breaded chicken if you aren’t lucky enough to have a Trader Joe’s near you.I am just trying to get to you to think outside the box of deli meats.
And of course, try a variety of cheese to find the flavor you like the best.
Make one and let me know how yours turns out.
Thanks for stopping by and have a great day.