It had been several weeks since I received my last CSA basket. I was so excited to be waking up to my box of produce.
I trudged out of bed, and headed to the front door to grab the box. But when I opened the door there was no box. I was so disappointed It’s usually delivered in the wee hours of the morning. I checked at 7:00 a.m. when I woke up and again, when the hubby left for work an hour later.
Now I have no idea when it arrived, but somewhere between 8:00 a.m. and when Melissa showed up after class around 11:00 a.m.
But I was thrilled that it arrive and poured over the box of goodies. What a relief it was because I really counting on some fresh produce for the next several days. My basket contained lots of Spring vegetables.
I decided to roast them and serve them on top of orzo.
- 2 zucchini, sliced
- 1 spring onion, sliced,
- 1/2 pound asparagus, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pinch white sugar
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 8 ounces orzo pasta
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F
- Place the zucchini, onion, and asparagus in a large bowl; add in garlic, olive oil and sugar, and stir gently to coat vegetables.
- Spread vegetables in a single layer on a baking sheet, and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Roast vegetables until tender, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a deep skillet boil 1 1/2 cups water.
- Add the orzo, and cook until the liquid reduces.
- add the chicken broth and continue to boil until liquid has evaporated.
- Stir in Parmesan cheese, and the roasted vegetables and, and serve warm.
Yes, this was a delicious vegetarian meal that I truly enjoyed.
I love how easy it is to make orzo. So much easier that risotto. You don’t need to baby sit it as much.
I can’t believe I survived this long without the abundance of my fresh door to door produce.
Thanks for stopping by and have a great day.