I don’t know who created the list of National Food Days, but some of them just don’t make sense. Others are so mundane. For example, who or why would there be a whole day dedicated to the pastrami? I haven’t eaten pastrami in ages. But when I was at the grocery store, I thought, why not. l am always eating turkey or chicken. Let the pastrami have a chance. And it’s been years since I had it. And after all, they dedicated a whole day to the pastrami.
I made myself this sandwich and I discovered that I love the pastrami. I am now officially a pastrami lover.
Try this twist from the traditional Pastrami Sandwich.
No sauerkraut was harmed in the making of this sandwich. Because I dislike sauerkraut immensely. And that’s putting it mildly.
- 1 Slice of dark rye bread, cut in half
- 5 slices of green apple, thinly sliced
- 2 ounces of pastrami
- 2 ounces of swiss cheese
- about a tablespoon angel hair cole slaw
- Spray the frying pan with non stick spray and set the stove on medium-high heat
- Toss the apple slices on the pan and quickly grill them about 1 minute. Set aside.
- Add one half of the bread slice to the pan and top with cheese
- Next top with the apple slices.
- Add the pastrami. Grill until the cheese starts to melt.
- Place the other half of the bread on in the pan to get it t grill a bit.
- Add the cole slaw and top with the other ½ of the bread.
Here is where I was pleasantly surprised at how much I loved this sandwich. I just wasn’t expecting to like it as much as I did. so for a treat every now and then. This twisted pastrami sandwich is going to be my lunch of choice.
I liked grilling the apple so it was warm and the juices of the apple would meld in with the cheese.
Speaking of cheese. Have you tried the Sargento Ultra Thin sliced cheese? Each slice is only 40 calories. I used two slices in this recipe. Plus it melts faster too. I hope you give with sandwich a try.
Enjoy your day!