My mom used to make Maltese pizza when we were kids, but she always chopped up an anchovy, and we never liked it. And we didn’t believe her that there was such a thing as Maltese Pizza. We thought she made it up herself. We would beg her to leave out the anchovy. She used the anchovy instead of the traditional sausage, which is a salty sausage.
I didn’t know that pizza appears on the menu at many of the restaurants in Malta. But I can tell you now that we cook it just as good as any Italian!.
Typically the pizza is made with a thin crust and topped with Maltese sausage, sun-dried tomatoes, mozzarella and ricotta cheese.
Here is my Americanized version
- 1 Pillsbury Thin crust Pizza dough
- 1 Adidells All Naural Italian Style chicken sausage, cut into thin slices
- ¼ cup low fat ricotta cheese
- Tomato puree
- ⅓ cup reduced-fat shredded mozzarella
- Fresh cracked pepper
- Par bake the pizza dough for about 5 minutes
- Spread tomato puree on pizza dough.
- Spread the sliced sausages around the dough .
- Drop teaspoons full of Ricotta cheese around the dough
- Sprinkle the ricotta cheese with fresh cracked pepper
- Sprinkle the Mozzarella cheese on top.
- Bake according to the pizza dough directions
I loved this pizza! There is nothing better than down home comfort. I nice huge salad goes great with pizza.
Have a great day!