Do you ever have one of those days when you wake up feeling like you just want to crawl back into bed? That is exactly how I felt when I woke up. I knew that I had time sensitive work that needed to get done so I couldn’t just stay in bed.
I managed to get a majority of my reports done and now I was sporting a blazing headache. So I took and Advil and went and took a 2 hour nap. I definitely felt better, but still not quite right.
So I made this spinach salad for dinner because I just wasn’t in the mood for anything hearty to eat.
Recipe adapted from Meatless Monday.
If you have never used fresh fennel or anise before, like me, there are many YouTube tutorials on how to cut fennel.
- 2 oranges
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 3 slices center cut bacon
- 1 bulb fennel, very thinly sliced
- 1 scallion, very thinly sliced
- 6 ounces baby spinach
- For the vinaigrette:
- Peel 1 orange and cut in half and juice the orange. Peel the other orange and cut into segments and then again in halves.
- In a bowl whisk in lemon and orange juice, vinegar, and salt. Season with pepper; set aside.
- In a small skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp and browned on both sides, about 4 minutes per side. Transfer to drain on paper towels; let cool, and finely crumble.
- In a large serving bowl, combine fennel, onion, and spinach.
- Add reserved orange segments and vinaigrette, and toss to combine. Divide among serving plates, and sprinkle each with crumbled bacon.
2 PP per serving
The licorice flavor from the fennel was a perfect complement with the bacon and orange.
I loved the dressing and would definitely make this again.
Have a great day.
Come back tonight for our Foodie Friends Friday Link up party and #giveaway.