It is pretty amazing how much we rely on the television as a source of entertainment. Our cable service has been on the blink all week. Finally, last night it went kaput. We contacted AT&T who said they needed to come out and have a services technician take a look. The appointment was for Saturday between 4 and 8 p.m. So, while we were waiting for them to show up, I cooked a great stir fry dinner and baked these incredible melt in your mouth cookies.
Unfortunately, AT&T was a no show. They called at 8:00 p.m. to let us know they wouldn’t be able to make it until the next morning.
At least I had my cookies. I have also been trying to experiment with unique herbs and spices. I bought ground cardamom at the World Market yesterday and wanted to make anything that would let me use this spice.
Cardamom has a strong, unique taste, with an intensely aromatic, resinous fragrance.
Green cardamom is one of the most expensive spices by weight, but little is needed to impart the flavor. It is best stored in pod form because once the seeds are exposed or ground, they quickly lose their flavor. However, high-quality ground cardamom seed is often more readily (and cheaply) available and is an acceptable substitute. Grinding the pods and seeds together lowers both the quality and the price. For recipes requiring whole cardamom pods, a generally accepted equivalent is 10 pods equals 1½ teaspoons of ground cardamom.
I found the recipe on Land O’Lakes website.
Browned Butter Cardamom Cookies
Talk about melt-in-your-mouth deliciousness!
- 1 cup Land O Lakes® Butter
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Melt butter in a heavy saucepan over medium heat.
- Continue cooking, stirring constantly and watching closely, until butter just starts to turn golden brown (3 to 5 minutes). (Butter will get foamy and bubble.) Immediately remove from heat. Pour into bowl; refrigerate until cooled (30 minutes).
- Combine cooled browned butter and sugar in large bowl; beat at medium speed until well mixed. Add egg yolk, vanilla and cardamom; continue beating until well mixed. Reduce speed to low. Beat, gradually adding flour, until mixture is no longer crumbly and forms a dough.
- Preheat oven to 350
- Shape dough into 1-inch balls.
- Place 1 inch apart onto ungreased cookie sheets.
- Bake for 10 to 12 may have cracks in them.)
- Immediately remove from cookie sheets.
- Cool 1 minute. Roll cookies in powdered sugar while warm and again when completely cooled.
- Store between sheets of waxed paper in loosely covered container.
2 PP per cookie
Sometimes not having a TV can be a good thing.
Have a great week. Oh and don’t forget to stop by my Tropical Traditions Giveaway. Just click here