I know that when the weather takes a turn for the worse, like it was last night and today, soup is that go to dish that brings us warmth and comfort too. The hubby hates clam chowder. It goes way back to his childhood, when his mom took him out to lunch with her. Her first mistake was making him go when there was the SF Giants, and Willie Mays was his favorite player on National TV. Remember, back in the day, when there was no such thing as a sports channel, nor any way to record the program. He was devastated. She took him to the Howard Johnson Hotel where there was a restaurant attached to the hotel. She ordered for him. It was clam chowder. He figured if he refused to it then it be punishment for her making him miss the baseball game. But unfortunately, as moms can be, she forced him to eat it. He says he was traumatized and has refused to eat clam chowder ever since then.
So, when I suggested that I make a chowder to dinner, he said, “hmm, that’s interesting”. What’s in it. When I said corn and potato. He figured okay, I can handle that.
And luckily, this simple Corn and Bacon Chowder was a huge hit. But he insists that he will never try clam chowder, EVER!
- 1 medium Yukon gold potato
- 1 large shallot, chopped
- 12 ounces frozen corn, thawed
- 4 slices center cut bacon, diced, and cooked
- 2 cup 2% milk
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Pierce potato in several places with a fork; microwave on high power until tender, turning over once, about 8 minutes.
- Allow to cool; peel and mash.
- Meanwhile, coat a large saucepan with cooking spray.
- Add shallots, and corn and; sauté over medium-high heat for 5 minutes.
- Stir bacon and milk into saucepan; stir in mashed potato and mix well.
- Season with, pepper and red pepper flakes; stir to combine.
- Cover and simmer 10 minutes (do not allow to boil).
Stay warm and safe if you are having bad weather where you live. But in the meantime, eat some chowder. You will be glad you did.